Our History

History of the Auvergne confectionary

The Cruzilles company is the descendant of 3 great confectioners of Clermont-Ferrand (Puy de Dome, France)

The Auvergne confectionary history is a conjunction of incredible circumstances which goes through almost 800 years.

We found here an adapted land for the stone fruits, local and thermal spa market, France and international, a more than a hundred year know-how that the obstinacy of the Clermont-Ferrand inhabitants always make durable, adaptable and improve.

12th century: The Crusaders bring from Arabia adapted fruits, cane sugar, and process for the confectionary. Angelica and apricot are typical examples of plants which came from the Himalaya and arrived in the Near East and reached Europe.

13th century: The first fruits cans are created by the French doctor Arnaud de Villeneuve for medical use and for tongue pleasures.

14th century : The domestic confectionary begins to be distinct from the one for medical use.

15th century : First mention of the “dry jam” meaning fruits jellies. They were offered as gift by the Clermont-Ferrand inhabitants to famous people. We found the first Auvergne mention in 1464 when the Clermont-Ferrand consuls give to Guillaume de Vayrié 6 boxes of dry jams. Louis XI, Voltaire, De Gaulles, were great amateurs.

17th century: First mention of candied fruits from Auvergne. Confectionary is growing around the apricot.

18th century: Fruits jellies from Auvergne are the main exported products in the region, four times more important than the two other industrials activities which are tannery and papermaking industry.

19th century: It is the great century for the confectionary of Clermont-Ferrand (Puy de Dome, France), thanks to two new passions: eat tastily, mainly sweet products and hydrotherapy industry.

Fruits trees interweave with the vineyard which covered the hills of Clermont-Ferrand and Riom, produced the needed fruits.

The continental blockade of Napoleon against the English has lead to the discovery and growing of sugar beet to replace the cane sugar. Sugar beets were planted in the Plain of Limagne.

The Duc de Morny, brother in law of Napoleon III, takes over in 1835 and strengthened the confectionary of Bourdon in Clermont-Ferrand. It is still working now.

The thermal spas, which are growing and the tea rooms, become great consumers of confectionary. They permit to reach French consumers and then foreigners. This gives the opportunity to the Clermont-Ferrand confectioners to reach French and international markets.

The number of Clermont-Ferrand confectioners steadily grows to reach 23 societies in 1895, employing directly or indirectly more than a thousand people.

Today, the fruits trees and the vineyard around Clermont-Ferrand have disappeared when the phylloxera touched them. Only the angelica and some red fruits are still cultivated here.

Cruzilles is the last confectionary industry remaining in Clermont-Ferrand, which perpetuates the know-how of the Auvergne confectionary Masters.

 

The history of the Cruzilles society

 

The Cruzilles company is the descendant of three great confectioners in Clermont-Ferrand.

CRUZILLES

-1880: Antonin Porte created his confectionary 15 Avenue de Royat in Clermont-Ferrand (Puy de Dome, France)

-1905: Mr. Coquery buys out the Porte confectionary and opens it Boulevard Pasteur (Clermont-Ferrand, Puy de Dome, France)

-1918: Noël Cruzilles created his confectionary Avenue Carnot (Clermont-Ferrand, Puy de Dome, France)

-1920 : Noël Cruzilles buys out the Coquery confectionary

-1936: Relocation of the confectionary at the 17/19 boulevard Loucheur in the Saint Jacques district (Clermont-Ferrand, Puy de Dome, France). Death of Noël Cruzilles. His wife Celia succeeded him.

-1964: Fire. The company finds refuge in the crypt of the Saint Jacques church (Clermont-Ferrand, Puy de Dome, France)

-1965: New construction

-1970: Madam Cruzilles (81 years-old) is replaced by her son Gaston.

 

AUBERT

-1868: Creation of the Rousselle firm, Rue Saint André (actually Gabriel Peri) in Clermont-Ferrand (Puy de Dome, France)

-1902: The Rousselle and Gerest SNC buys out the Rousselle firm and opens 70 rue Lamartine (Clermont-Ferrand, Puy de Dome, France)

-1920: Laurent Aubert, chemist, created his confectionary, buys out the Rousselle and Gerest SNC and opens 47 avenue de Lyon (actually Edouard Michelin, Clermont-Ferrand, Puy de Dome, France)

-1958: Arrival of Jean-Marie Audollent

-1961 Death of Laurent Aubert

 

GAUFFRIDY

-1920: Henri Gauffridy and Louis Vallier created their confectionary, 4 rue Bonnabaud in Clermont-Ferrand (Puy de Dome, France)

-1953: The Gauffridy and Vallier’s society moves 226 avenue Jean Mermoz, where the Cruzilles society is actually located, constructed in the place of an angelica country, and becomes Gauffridy S.A.

-1959: Jean-Marie Audollent buys out the Gauffridy S.A. company.

-1961: Death of Alfred Gauffridy

 

AUBERT - GAUFFRIDY

-1960: Aubert buys out Gauffridy

-1961: End of the fabrication of the Aubert company. They are transferred to the Gauffridy company.

-1962: Extension of the plant Avenue Jean Mermoz (Clermont-Ferrand, Puy de Dome, France)

 

CRUZILLES - GAUFFRIDY

-1979: Merge between the Gauffridy and the Cruzilles societies to become the Cruzilles Gauffridy S.A. company. The Cruzilles offices in Saint Jacques are sold, the workforce and machines are gathered avenue Jean Mermoz (Clermont-Ferrand, Puy de Dome, France).

CRUZILLES - GAUFFRIDY - AUBERT

-1988: Merge between the societies Aubert and Cruzilles Gauffridy to become the Cruzilles Gauffridy Aubert’s company.

-1988: Purchase by Pierre Mermoud.

-1992: The Cruzilles Gauffridy Aubert’s society becomes the Noël Cruzilles Aubert company

-2002: The Fourey Galland’s society is took over by Noël Cruzilles Aubert company.

-2009: Purchase by Roland Gibert. The Noël Cruzilles Aubert’s society becomes the Cruzilles SAS company.